The derivation of Lackawannock is a combination of
"Lac," the French for lake, and Wannock, the name of an Indian Chief
who lived in a wigwam located on a nearby lake.
original township was laid out in 1805; but it was not until 1849 that
the Little Neshannock Creek became the eastern boundary. Townships
bordering were: North - Jefferson, South - Wilmington, West - Hickory
The area of the township is 21.4 sq. miles. The
township currently has 27.37 miles of improved roads. Geographical
center of the township is the village of Greenfield.
of Greenfield, located in a clearing, was established in1820 by
Archelaus Wilkins. He built the first cabin in that area.
families, the Youngs and Cozads, were the first permanent settlers,
both coming from Washington County [PA] in 1798. The Youngs settled
near the northwest area of the township on land that is now referred to
as Frogtown. The Cozads chose the northeast part of the township. These
two families became working and sharing partners.
tradition reports that a man had previously cleared a patch of land
before Cozad and had planted a few peach seeds. They sprouted, grew and
bore the first peaches about 1801.
The Youngs were quite well
prepared for establishing their new home. They came with domestic
animals and tools necessary to conquer the wilderness. (Present
descendents in Mercer Co. are Paul Trapasso and Helen Trapasso
The Cozads faced poverty and in time left. This land
was taken over by the Yarian family. Much of this area is now owned by
the Bartholomew families.
For the most part, Indians residing in
this area were very friendly and helpful. One assisted Nathaniel Cozad
in building a house. Those of the Mohawk tribe were the most friendly
and probably were held in honor among the settlers. The Indians often
stopped at the settlers for food and would return with venison as a
token of their appreciation.
As more and more settlers began to arrive, the Indians began to move out of the area.
a few miles south of Greenfield the David Hayes family held a
log-rolling for a cabin. He was given a substantial amount of acreage.
Today the Hayes farms are owned by Amish farmers. Near the Hayes were
the William Bells.
The first birth on January 8 1800 was to the
James Young family. It was a son, Jonathan. Later in 1800, a son,
Nathaniel Cozad, Jr., was born. The first wedding was that of Betty
Cozad and John RItchie - date not known.
Settlers continued to
move into the township. There was no transportation, except horses.
Neither was there any type of communication except "word of mouth."
A few of the names in the 19th. century were: Northwest- Bortz, Fry, Watson; Southwest- Reed, Madge, Thompson, Love; Northeast- Yarian, Hawthorne, Campbell, Blackson, Hughes, Gordon, Hunter; East and Southeast- Dilley, Young, Marquis, Adams, McCullough, Fife, McNair, Speer, Shaffer, Hoagland; Central and South Central- Sowers, Sloss, Allen, Hope, Muller, Larimer, Zuver, Sewall, Gault, Bell, Young and Hayes.
The first recorded election was in 1806: Thomas Gordon, Supervisor and Constable; William Hunter, Supervisor of the Poor.
the 19th. Century the township residents continued to clear their land
and cultivate. Each farmer had one or more horses and a few cows.
Chickens were added for an egg supply in their homes. Each week the
family took milk, butter and eggs to the village stores to exchange
them for sugar, flour and other necessities. At the same time they
picked up the weekly mail. ( 1904 the Rural Free Delivery became a
Lackawannock Township gradually became a first-rate
farming area. Corn, wheat and oats were the crops, plus produce from
the gardens for consumption and canning for the winter months. Fruit
orchards were established by John Hughes and father about 1865 and
Bartholomew Orchards - 1920-1980. The Creighton Orchard was located on
the area that became known as Orchard Road (Hughes-Neshannock Meeting
By the arrival of the 20th. Century the township was well
organized. Dirt roads were being covered with "Red Dog" during the cold
winter months, hauled by teams of horses. Later, gravel was used and
now all roads are "Black Top." There are now no unimproved roads in the